Saturday, November 20, 2010

Tis the Christmas Season (at the mall)

November 17 is the anniversary of the Velvet Revolution in the Czech Republic.  It was a non-violent revolution in Czechoslovakia that saw the overthrow of the authoritarian government in 1989.  In 1990 Czechoslovakia elected their first democratic leader.  It marked the collapse of the Soviet Empire and an opening of the Berlin Wall and Czechoslovakian borders.  It is a national holiday and I was able to spend it in a mall....how American of me.  


    Romana was helping her daughter move so they offered to take me to Prague and I could spend the day at the mall while they helped Klara move.  I jumped at the chance because it is very hard for me to find any clothes that fit in Tabor (because of my height) and I knew that the malls in Prague would offer much more selection.  On the way to the mall, I was excited to learn about the Velvet Revolution and the history behind it.

    Living in a Capitalistic society (America) this time of year you are over inundated with Christmas decorations and Christmas music at the mall.  I have to admit that I actually look forward it it.  Christmas is my FAVORITE time of the year and the first store I walked into in Prague, I was blessed with Come Ole Ye Faithful in English.  It was music to my ears.


 I spent the first two hours at Chodov Centrum and then took the metro to another stop and spent 5 hours at the mall at Andel Centrum.  I loved seeing the Christmas tree and Christmas lights set up and I walked EVERYWHERE and looked at EVERYTHING.  I was able to find a great ski jacket that was normally 300 dollars on sale for 60 dollars.  Normally I spend the day after Thanksgiving shopping (tradition since I was 4 years old) but this year I will actually be teaching sooooo I just did my browsing earlier this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment