Sunday, November 7, 2010

Who Would Have Thought

Who would have thought that a year ago, I would be celebrating my 35th birthday in the Czech Republic? I didn't. On my 34th birthday I had applied to the Fulbright program but I hadn't heard anything and at that point, the Czech Republic wasn't even one of my choices of places to go. Now flash forward one year, and I am living in Tabor, Czech Republic and spending time with amazing people that I didn't even know existed a year ago. It is so amazing how things work out in life. I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that you go where you are suppose to go.

I had a wonderful birthday DAY, birthday WEEK, and thanks to my new friends, a wonderful birthday WEEKEND. Calan, Brock, and Matt came from their various cities/towns/whole in the walls (sorry Calan) to come spend the weekend with me to help celebrate my birthday. All arrived Friday night and after a couple trips to the train station (which is only a 15 minute walk from my flat) all arrived safely to Tabor. We started our weekend at the BEST Indian Restaurant and then on to Havana's for great beer and dessert.
Ended up back at my flat talking and catching up til 2am and finally headed to bed. Saturday
we got up and after my attempt at making breakfast (burned the first round) we set off to
explore the town. Brock headed back to Olomouc Saturday afternoon, but not before some child's play at the local park. Apparently I am TOO old now to do a penny drop on the parallel bars but NOT too old to still have fun on a see saw.

Calan, Matt, and I set off to find Harachovka (which is a place along the river) but of course, it wouldn't be fun if it didn't turn out to be the longest walk the wrong way...just wouldn't be an adventure. We came upon the Rock Museum and just had to stop and take pictures...and we couldn't just take regular pictures, we had to see
how many different poses we could make on the rocks. Also, just the humor of setting all three of our cameras on some rock, pressing lapse time, and Calan and I racing to get into position before the 10 second delay was up was priceless as well. Poor Matt....he is such a trooper, he let Calan and I set him up in as many pics as possible.

After lunch we continued our 15 thousand step journey to the restaurant in Harachovka and enjoyed a super meal and then journey back. We ended up meeting my friend Jara at the Tea House in Tabor and again, had the best time. Jara is so fun to hang out with and he speaks
perfect English so we laughed and laughed and it
is just amazing to me, that one year ago, I didn't know any of the people I was sitting with. I don't want people to think that I don't appreciate them at home because I have some amazing family and friends back home, but I just marvel at the thought that I am exploring a new world, exploring a new me, and making wonderful connections that I would have NEVER made if I hadn't done this trip.

I am excited to see what new adventures the world has in store for me in the upcoming year and excited to see where I will be and who I will know at my next birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment